mardi 12 juin 2007

Text n° 1 : let's try !

Between the lessons, let's translate an english text into french! Because this blog is open for everyone and i don't know everyone's level, just let's try translating some sentences, and let's explain them after it is done, ok?

I am inventing a text..


Three days ago, my friend came and visit me.
I haven't seen her in a long time.
She brought some chocolates with her, although she knows she doesn't have to.
It was a great surprise because she was in Africa and told me she couldn't come before next week!
Nothing has changed about her, her sense of humor, her dynamism .. We spent the entire day laughing and talking about the past, but also about what we intend to do now. I was very glad to see her again. She left again for Africa a few days after.



1. Three days ago, my friend came and visit me.

-> Trois jours plus tôt, mon amie est venue me rendre visite.


2. I haven't seen her in a long time.

-> Cela fait très longtemps que je ne l'ai pas vue.


3. She brought some chocolates with her. She knows she doesn't have to.

-> Elle a apporté des chocolats avec elle. Elle sait qu'elle n'y est pas obligée.


4. It was a great surprise because she was in Africa and told me she couldn't come before next week!

-> Ce fut une énorme surprise car elle était en Afrique et m'avait dit qu'elle ne pourrait pas venir avant la semaine d'après.


5. Nothing has changed about her, her sense of humor, her dynamism ..

-> Rien n'a changé à son sujet, son sens de l'humour, son dynamisme..


6. We spent the entire day laughing and talking about the old times, but also about what we intend to do about our life now.

-> Nous avons passé la journée entière à parler du bon vieux temps, mais également de ce que nous avons l'intention de faire de nos vies à présent.


7. I was very glad to see her again.

-> J'étais très heureuse de la revoir à nouveau.


8. She left again for Africa a few days after.

-> Elle est repartie pour l'Afrique quelques jours après.


Explanation :

1. Trois jours plus tôt = Il y a trois jours


2. this sentence can not be translated keeping the same order in the english sentence.

........ in a while / in a long time. = Cela fait longtemps que........


3. She knows she doesn't have to = literrally : Elle sait qu'elle n'a pas à le faire.

But it sounds not really nice, nor polite actually, a bit "agressive"


4. la semaine d'après = la semaine qui suit = la semaine prochaine


5. à son sujet = about her or he
à ton sujet = about you
à mon sujet = about me
.....


6. intend to : avoir l'intention de ...


7. again : encore..but here "à nouveau" is a better translation.
BUT
It's me again! = C'est encore moi -> better than "c'est moi à nouveau"


8. leave for :partir pour..
BUT
leave again for : repartir pour..


I hope it was clear enough... i try to explain things with my own spirit and sentences, so if it is not very clear, please let me know :-)

Aucun commentaire: