mardi 12 juin 2007

I want..

Want + Noun : vouloir +nom


I want a coke.

-> Je veux du coca.



Want + To + verb = vouloir + Verbe

I want to know who you are.

-> Je veux savoir qui vous êtes. (tu es)



Want You To + Verb : Vouloir que tu (vous) + Verbe Subjonctif

I want you to be happy all the time.

-> Je veux que tu sois heureux tout le temps. (sois = être au subjonctif)


I want you to listen to me.

-> Je veux que vous m'écoutiez. (écoutiez = écouter subjonctif)



Remarque : about the first sentence

I want a coke.

English language uses a determinant for drinks in that case, but in french we use "de" or "du"
Je veux du coca.

Un, une, are reservated for things you can actually count, like apples ..
Je veux une pomme.

But coke is not "countable" . But we have the same thing with english when we talk about water : I want some water = Je veux de l'eau.


just a little detail.. ;-)

Aucun commentaire: